Glaciers

During my university summer breaks I used to work at Central Queensland University, advising undergrad business and law students on their subject selection (!?).  I remember one summer my boss, Philip, showed me some photos of his trip to Franz Joseph Glacier.  They were spectacular and I decided then and there that I too would experience this magical place one day.

Romain had the same aspirations so we jumped in Ni-Van and hooned of to Tai Poutini National Park.

First stop was Fox Glacier.

 


 



 
 



After skidding and sliding around on the ice for a bit and taking a sufficient number of dorky photos of us pretending to be foxes, we drove to on to Franz Joseph Glacier.

We had signed up for an ice trek.  Our guide told us something about slowly moving glacial walls with the potential to crush us all to death, can't recall the exact details.  But regardless, we got our crampons on, and set off into the icy blue wilderness. 

 








It was everything I hoped it would be!  Really really amazing.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Van Life

Wellington

Te Anau